The Auricon line of 16mm cameras, audio recording devices, and accessories was launched in the 1940’s with the introduction of a double system variable-area sound-on-film recorder. Contemporary sources indicate that the company was founded in 1934 in New York as the Berndt-Maurer Corporation by John Maurer and Eric Berndt, both former RCA employees. Walter Bach was added to the team soon after. The company's early output included a follow focus, a synchronous motor, and a blimp for the Cine Kodak Special. They moved to Los Angeles around 1939 and launched their first Auricon-branded audio recorder soon after. In 1940, Berndt and Bach split from Maurer and established the E.M. Berndt Corporation to manufacture and market their Auricon products. Their first 16mm camera was introduced in 1942 and it was of a wooden box design, due in part to war-time material shortages. This camera was followed by the Auricon Cine-Voice CM-72 camera ca. 1950. The CM-72 had an updated metal case design, a 100’ internal capacity, and offered single-system sound-on-film recording capabilities. Popular for newsgathering because of its compact and portable design, the camera was further upgraded to the CM-72A. This version featured a synchronous motor, and could be used for either single or double-system sound recording.